Please note that due to the subject matter of this project (death/grief) some of the images on this blog might be disturbing.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Darren Bryant - The hanky Box Project




The Hanky Project

Artist Statement

I am fortunate to have one my grandma’s hanky boxes. During the 2nd world war, she started making numerous small boxes from magazine paper and plastic film. Lovingly stitched and shaped together, the magazine paper had images of places and pattern of that period. The plastic film covering, which I think came from old x-rays gave the box strength and stability. Today, everyone in my immediate family have one of grandma’s hanky boxes.

The white hanky in this project is one of my grandma’s. I have screenprinted an image from the box of a model plane she and my grandfather gave me one Christmas as a child. I have made a box by folding one of my own linocut prints, paying homage to her box making craft.

One of my last memories of her, before she passed away, is her holding a white hanky.

Medium: screenprint on cotton hanky, linoblock on paper with paper clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment