Please note that due to the subject matter of this project (death/grief) some of the images on this blog might be disturbing.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Patrycia Buckland Hankie Work




My piece ( the handkerchief) came to me via my sister. I don’t think it belonged to my dad, but to my Uncle Chick, my dad’s brother. The colours around the border reflect dad’s taste in clothing. His shirts, jackets and trousers were generally of these hues and suited his olive complexion.
Dad grew up on the Turramurra side of Ku-Ring-Gai chase national park. He loved the bush and spent a good part of his youth exploring the chase from Bobbin Head to West Head. After returning from the second world war dad married my mother and they purchased a block of land at Mount Colah close to the South western border of the Chase. As children we became very familiar with the area close to our home. On a grander scale I always thought the Chase was my father’s backyard. For a lifetime he roamed the ridges and gullies, knew it and loved it well. He taught us to appreciate its unique beauty. We will always roam the sandstone ridges with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment